- New Tether Auditor Confirms Slashing of Commercial Paper Holdingsby Oliver Knight on August 19, 2022 at 12:55 pm
Stablecoin issuer Tether has cut its commercial paper exposure to $8.6 billion, with a reduction to $200 million on track by the end of the month.
- South Africa's Monetary Authority Greenlights Banks to Serve Crypto Clientsby Sandali Handagama on August 19, 2022 at 12:13 pm
The central bank warned against the "wholesale" banning of clients over risk after a number of local banks moved to terminate services to crypto exchanges and other intermediaries in previous years.
- Nigeria's CBDC eNaira Used for Nearly $10M Worth of Transactions Since Octoberby Jamie Crawley on August 19, 2022 at 12:11 pm
Nigeria's central bank digital currency (CBDC), the eNaira, has been used to carry out transactions worth 4 billion naira ($9.3 million) since its introduction in October 2021, the governor of its central bank has said.
- World's Biggest Companies Invested $6B in Blockchain Firms September-June: Studyby Jamie Crawley on August 19, 2022 at 10:33 am
Google's parent company, Alphabet, participated in funding rounds that raised over $1.5 billion for four blockchain and crypto-related companies between September 2021 and June 2022 according to a study by Blockdata.
- Crypto Stocks Slide in Premarket Trading as Bitcoin Slumps to $21.5Kby Oliver Knight on August 19, 2022 at 10:23 am
Marathon Digital and Riot Blockchain are leading the plunge in crypto stocks today with both facing double-digit moves to the downside.
- Bitcoin Plunges Most in 2 Months, Dashing Recovery Hopesby Omkar Godbole on August 19, 2022 at 7:32 am
Bitcoin, the leading cryptocurrency by market cap, fell to the lowest level since July 27 early Friday.
- Crypto Lender Hodlnaut Faces Singapore Police ‘Actions’ and Staggering Job Cutsby Danny Nelson on August 19, 2022 at 5:32 am
The latest firm to freeze crypto withdrawals is engaged in “proceedings” with Singaporean police.
- First Mover Asia: Bitcoin Sinks Below $23K; South Korea's Bumpy Crypto Path Forwardby James Rubin on August 19, 2022 at 2:00 am
The prices of the largest cryptocurrency in market value and ether both continued recent losing streaks after late-in-the-day declines.
- Ripple Unveils Crypto On-Demand Liquidity Service in Brazilby Rodrigo Tolotti on August 18, 2022 at 11:01 pm
Ripple is teaming up with the digital bank Travelex to introduce the product, which will initially allow transactions between Brazil and Mexico.
- Crypto Lender Celsius' Collapse Into Bankruptcy Should Be Probed, US Saysby Nikhilesh De on August 18, 2022 at 9:49 pm
Some of the highest profile and controversial bankruptcies in history have included the appointment of an independent examiner.
- US Treasury's Tornado Cash Sanctions Are ‘Unprecedented’, Warns Congressmanby Fran Velasquez on August 18, 2022 at 9:45 pm
With just 28 legislative days left this year, “it’s unlikely that any crypto legislation is going to move,” U.S. Representative Tom Emmer said on CoinDesk TV’s “First Mover” show.
- House Lawmakers Send Letters to 4 US Crypto Miners Asking for Details on Environmental Impactby Aoyon Ashraf on August 18, 2022 at 8:35 pm
Core Scientific, Riot Blockchain, Marathon Digital and Stronghold Digital received the letters from members of the Committee on Energy and Commerce.
- Market Wrap: Bitcoin Pauses Losing Streak but the Trend Is Still Not Bullishby Glenn Williams, Helene Braun, Jimmy He on August 18, 2022 at 8:32 pm
BTC was slightly higher on the day, but ETH was outpacing the largest cryptocurrency by market cap. Bitcoin’s price (BTC) increased 0.3% on Thursday, ending a streak of four consecutive negative days. Average trading volume was larger than average. Prices initially declined 0.5% as U.S. equity markets opened.Ether’s (ETH) price rose 1.5% as the second-largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization, outperformed bitcoin. Altcoins were mixed, with EOS falling 7%. while SOL and ATOM increased 0.1% and 4%, respectively.
- Protocolo blockchain Algorand lidera ronda de inversión de $22M en compañía de tokenización Koibanxby Andrés Engler on August 18, 2022 at 8:15 pm
Los fondos serán utilizados por la compañía latinoamericana para expandir infraestructura y construir rieles de pago.
- New Galaxy Crypto Fund on Path to Raise $100 Million by Year Endby Michael Bellusci on August 18, 2022 at 8:08 pm
Galaxy Digital recently launched its liquid alpha fund and is on the fundraising track now.
- Blockchain Protocol Algorand Leads $22M Investment Round in Tokenization Firm Koibanxby Andrés Engler on August 18, 2022 at 7:03 pm
The funds will be used by the Latin American firm to expand blockchain infrastructure and build payment rails.
- As SEC Leans on Enforcement to Regulate, Crypto Lawyers Study Every Wordby Jesse Hamilton on August 18, 2022 at 6:50 pm
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission isn’t volunteering to clarify what makes a crypto token a security, but the agency showed some of its hand in enforcement documents crypto lawyers are studying like scripture.
- The BlackRock Trust: Crypto Legitimacy or the Beginning of the End for Bitcoin?by Zac Colbert on August 18, 2022 at 5:15 pm
- Is Filecoin Network's Incentive Plan Sustainable? Crypto Analysts Want to Knowby Jimmy He on August 18, 2022 at 4:58 pm
Almost all of the data-storage network’s recent deal growth has come from one incentive program, and project leaders are now looking for new revenue streams.
- Coinbase CEO Suggests Exchange Won't Censor Transactions on Ethereumby Anna Baydakova on August 18, 2022 at 4:43 pm
In a tweet, Brian Armstrong expressed his preference not to censor transactions to and from sanctioned addresses after Ethereum's transition to proof-of-stake.
- Crypto Custodian Copper to Connect to Solana for DeFi Accessby Will Canny on August 18, 2022 at 4:19 pm
The link will create new ways for the company's institutional investors to access decentralized finance and digital assets.
- CFTC Commissioner: Crypto Market Needs Clear Guidelines on Its Regulatorby Fran Velasquez on August 18, 2022 at 4:15 pm
Commissioner Kristin N. Johnson joined CoinDesk TV’s “First Mover,” to discuss the future of cryptocurrency regulation in the U.S.
- Mercado Libre introduce su criptomoneda en Brasil con planes de expandirla al resto de América Latinaby Rodrigo Tolotti on August 18, 2022 at 4:12 pm
Mercado Coin permitirá a los 80 millones de usuarios de la compañía a recibir recompensas por sus compras.
- Helium Developer Nova Labs Buys FreedomFi to Accelerate Push Into Mobile Serviceby Lyllah Ledesma on August 18, 2022 at 4:00 pm
As part of the acquisition, FreedomFi team members will join Nova Labs to lead the future expansion of the network in the mobile space.
- ‘Consumer Business Is Dead’ for Crypto Lender Celsius, Bankruptcy Expert Saysby Fran Velasquez on August 18, 2022 at 3:30 pm
Thomas Braziel, partner at investment firm 507 Capital, joined CoinDesk TV’s “First Mover” to discuss Celsius Network and why its relationship with customers could be over.
- E-Commerce Giant Mercado Libre Introduces Cryptocurrency in Brazil, Plans Wider Latin America Useby Rodrigo Tolotti on August 18, 2022 at 3:22 pm
Mercado Coin will allow the company’s 80 million users to make purchases and receive cashback.
- CME Group Adds to Crypto Offerings With Ether Optionsby Michael Bellusci on August 18, 2022 at 2:32 pm
CME's latest launch will allow traders to make bets and manage risk ahead of the Merge.
- Bitcoin pierde tendencia alcista a medida que la Fed prevé tasas restrictivas por mucho tiempoby Omkar Godbole on August 18, 2022 at 2:04 pm
Las tasas crecientes y elevadas no son favorables para bitcoin, dijo un investigador.
- First Mover Americas: Fifth Day of Declining Bitcoin Price Has Some Traders Looking Out Belowby Lyllah Ledesma, Omkar Godbole on August 18, 2022 at 1:38 pm
The latest price moves in bitcoin (BTC) and crypto markets in context for August 18, 2022. First Mover is CoinDesk’s daily newsletter that contextualizes the latest actions in the crypto markets.
- Buzz Over Potential Ethereum Hard Fork Token Fizzles as Price Tanksby Krisztian Sandor on August 18, 2022 at 1:30 pm
Crypto traders’ appetite to speculate on the potential Ethereum hard fork remains muted on exchanges that listed ETHPOW.
- Run-To-Earn Game Stepn Teams With Atlético de Madrid and Crypto Exchange WhaleFin for NFT Sneaker Collectionby Cameron Thompson on August 18, 2022 at 1:25 pm
The companies are releasing over 1,000 digital soccer cleats compatible for run-to-earn and eligible for real world rewards.
- US Tribal Nation Economic Zone Publishes Draft Rules for DAOsby Sandali Handagama on August 18, 2022 at 1:22 pm
The Catawba Digital Economic Zone proposes laws that would allow DAOs to be organized as limited liability companies or unincorporated non-profits.
- Crypto Exchange Gemini Offering Staking Support for Investorsby Elizabeth Napolitano on August 18, 2022 at 1:00 pm
The company hopes to capitalize on rising user interest ahead of Ethereum’s upcoming shift to a proof-of-stake model.
- Ethereum’s Merge Will Increase Its Use Cases and Drive Its Investment Narrativeby Jackson Wood on August 18, 2022 at 12:50 pm
More efficiencies and scalability solutions could make Ethereum a more attractive platform to build on and invest in.
- Tether Swaps Accounting Firms, Says It Will Publish Monthly Attestation on Stablecoin Backingby Nikhilesh De on August 18, 2022 at 12:00 pm
Stablecoin issuer Tether Holdings has tapped BDO Italia, the Italian branch of accounting firm Binder Dijker Otte, to provide attestation reports.